Follow this guide to learn how to share screen on Microsoft Teams from different devices and operating systems.
Knowing how to share your screen on Microsoft Teams is one of the most important features on the platform. Whether you’re doing a slideshow presentation, want to share an interactive whiteboard, or need to demonstrate something, then sharing your screen is an easy way to do this.
Table of contents
- How To Share Screen On Microsoft Teams
- How To Share Your Screen On Microsoft Teams On Mobile
- How To Share Your Screen On Microsoft Teams Chat
- Other Things To Know About The Screen Sharing Feature
How To Share Screen On Microsoft Teams
Follow these steps to share your screen on Microsoft Teams.
Follow these steps to share your screen on Microsoft Teams from a Windows desktop:
- While you are in a meeting in Microsoft Teams, select the Open share tray button. This has an image of a square with an arrow pointing up through it.
- Now you get to choose between a few different options for what you want to share. This includes:
- Screenshare: Choose to share everything shown on your entire screen.
- PowerPoint Live: This is a special option for sharing PowerPoint slideshows - a great option for presentations.
- Microsoft Whiteboard and Freehand Invasion: This is a fun feature, where you can share an interactive whiteboard that other meeting participants can draw on. It’s a great tool for brainstorming.
Window: This option lets you choose a specific window or app to share.
- Once you have chosen which option you want to share, a red border will appear around your screen or the specific part of your screen that you’re sharing.
- When you are ready to end your presentation, select Stop sharing or click the box with the ‘x’ in it.
Mac users first have to grant permission to Microsoft Teams in order to record their computer’s screen.
To share your screen on Microsoft Teams from a Mac, follow these steps:
- While you are in a meeting in Microsoft Teams, select the Share content button. This has an image of a square with an arrow pointing up through it.
- If it is your first time sharing your screen, you will be prompted to grant permission. When the prompt appears, select Open system preferences. If for some reason, you missed out on this prompt, you can grant permission by navigating to the Apple menu > System preferences > Security & Privacy.
- There will be an option for screen recording on the prompt. Ensure you select Microsoft Teams here.
- Once selected, you can now return to the meeting and continue to share your screen as per the steps above. You will need to select what type of screen share you want to do, and a red line will appear over the area of your screen that you are sharing.
- When you are ready to end your presentation, select Stop sharing.
How To Share Your Screen On Microsoft Teams On Mobile
It’s also possible to share your screen on Microsoft Teams if you take a meeting from your mobile device. In this tutorial, we will be using an Android phone. However, the steps are the same on iOS.
- When you are in the call, tap on the three dots at the bottom of the screen. A menu will appear. Tap on Share.
Now four options will appear. These are to share a PowerPoint presentation, share a photo, share a video, or share your screen. Tap Share screen.
A prompt might appear asking your device to allow Microsoft Teams to share your screen. If this appear, grant the permission to do this.
Now a box might appear, tap Start broadcast to share your screen. On some devices, the screen share might start immediately.
Participants will now be able to see your screen. They will only be able to see the Microsoft Teams app, but you can switch apps while screen sharing, and they will see this.
When you are ready to stop sharing your screen, go back to the Microsoft Teams app and tap on Stop presenting.
How To Share Your Screen On Microsoft Teams Chat
It’s possible to also share your screen if you are on Microsoft Teams Chat. This is how you do it:
- Open a chat window in Microsoft Teams.
- Select Share content. This button is found in the upper right corner of the window.
- Select which desktop or window screen you want to share in the chat
- Now your screen will be shared in the Microsoft Teams Chat. The area that you share will be outlined by a red border.
- When you are done, select Stop sharing.
How To Share Screen Control In A Microsoft Teams Meeting?
When you are sharing your screen during a meeting, you can choose to give control to another participant in that meeting. This puts you both in control of the sharing.
Follow these steps to do this:
- Click on give control on the sharing toolbar.
- Now you can select the name of the person in the meeting to who you want to give control. Teams will notify this person.
- Now screen control is shared. The other person can make edits and selections on the shared screen.
- When you are done, select Take back control. Now the screen will only be controlled by you again.
Note: You can also select Request control if someone else is sharing and you want to take control of the screen. They will have to approve your request.
Other Things To Know About The Screen Sharing Feature
Here are a few extra things to take note of with Microsoft Teams screen sharing:
- No notifications that come in will be shown to participants while you share your screen
- Linux users will not see the red border when sharing screens
- There is an option to include your computer sound when sharing your screen
- You can zoom into shared screen content while on Microsoft Teams
There you have it - above are all the different ways that you can share your screen on Microsoft Teams.
This is one of the most important and useful features to know how to use for all kinds of meetings. Luckily, Microsoft Teams offers a few great features, like audio and screen control, to take screen sharing to the next level.